Getting a Martial Arts School Web site Online is Easier than you Might Think!
So you know you need a Web site but you’re not sure where to start. Should you pay someone to do it? Should you learn HTML so you can do it? What’s the fastest way to get a Web site?
This post will make it so easy you can have your very own martial arts school web site in a day – and that’s no exaggeration. You can have a fully functioning martial arts school website in a day.
How To Get A Martial Arts School Website in One Day
Well, if you like this website, I can tell you how to get your very own martial arts school website using my recommended domain name registrar, hosting, and publishing software so you don’t have to hire anyone or learn HTML. And, you’ll be live within a days time at a fraction of the cost of hiring a web designer.
But first, lets look at the component parts to starting a website:
- A domain name
- A website hosting company
- Content management system
Step 1 – Secure A Domain Name
Securing your domain name is the first step to having a Web site and there are some do’s and don’ts you want to follow.
Ideas for Selecting a Domain Name:
- Benefit Driven- www.getfitwithkarate.com
- Name of School – www.kimskaratebarn.com
- Geo Specific – www.denvermartialarts.com or www.coloradokarate.com
- Style Based – www.mixedmartialartsguru.com or www.kenpokarateclasses.com
- Student Base Focused – www.karateclassesforkids.com or www.martialartsforadults.com
Domain name tips:
- Register a “.com” for your business
- Keep it short and to the point
- Keep it pronounceable
- Avoid acronyms as they aren’t always memorable
- Avoid dashes as they are hard to tell people in conversation
If you register your website at BlueHost.com mentioned below, you’ll get your domain name free. Some hosts are charging $35/yr for a domain name so this is a good deal.
Read more about How to Choose a Good Martial Arts School Domain Name.
Step 2 – Get Website Hosting
Next you need a place to host your Web site so the world can view it. Don’t go with any free hosting packages anywhere because it always means pop up windows and advertising that will distract and annoy your future visitors.
I recommend BlueHost.com and spending a few bucks. Here’s why:
- Affordable – Only $6.95/month
- Free Domain Name – Saves you up to $35 a year
- Reliable – They have a 99.9% up time
- Outstanding support – USA based support team that works 24/7/365
- Free Email Accounts – firstname.lastname@example.org for the ultimate in professionalism
When setting up your hosting, you will be asked if you have a domain name or need to buy one. Enter in the domain name you want to reserve. If it’s available, they will associate it to your account which simplifies the process.
Step 3 – Content Management System
This Web site uses WordPress Blog publishing software as does my Salt Lake City Utah Martial Arts school website. A blog is something that is very much like an online journal where you can put entries in and they are displayed in reverse chronological order.
Best of all, WordPress doesn’t require any HTML knowledge and are incredibly versatile. You can change the theme (design) and add functionality (plugins) with a click of your mouse.
Once you get your hosting activated and your domain name pointed to the right place, login into your control panel. (BlueHost.com will email you login instructions)
- Login to your control panel (http://www.yoursite.com:2082)
- Enter your username and password
- Scroll down to “Software and Services”
- Click on “Fantastico De Luxe”
- Click on “WordPress” under “Blogs”
- Click on “New Installation”
- Install into your root directory (do not enter anything into the “directory” field)
- Once installed, visit http://www.yoursite.com/wp-admin/ and enter in your username and password.
- That’s it!
RECAP: Three Steps to getting a Website in a day:
- Select and purchase a good domain name through GoDaddy.com.
- Get Hosting at BlueHost.com for $6.95 a month (PLUS your domain name is free!).
- Use Fantastico from your control panel to automatically set up your blog.
Sure, you will have to write all the content, select a themes, add plugins, etc. and that might take longer than a day, however, putting together the website after that can be done in a day.
Come back soon to read up on how to add a theme, plugins, and configure WordPress so you can start your martial arts school Web site as quickly as possible.
Who else is using WordPress and what do YOU like about it?